Thursday, November 19, 2009

Crispy Apple Crisp (vegan, gluten-free, food allergy-friendly) www.welcomingkitchen.com


I was thinking about Thanksgiving (and who isn't?), and thinking about desserts (again, who isn't?), when I thought about what would make a great alternative to pie this Thanksgiving. Yeah, we'll definitely have pies, but sometimes you want to have something a little different. I don't mean really different, just a little different. 

 So, here's a Welcoming Kitchen apple crisp that not only is gluten-free, but also oat-free. The coconut oil gives it a hint of coconut flavor and the topping is really crispy.

Serve this apple crisp on its own or with sorbet or coconut-based ice cream.

We wish you the happiest holiday season.

Crispy Apple Crisp  (gluten-free, vegan, refined-sugar-free, allergen-free)
Makes 6 servings (or 4 more-generous servings)

Ingredients:

6 medium-sized apples
1 1/2 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil

Preheat oven to 400.
Lightly oil a 2-quart baking dish or square baking pan.
Finely crush 1 cup of crispy rice cereal into a powder. (A food processor works well for this.)
Peel and thinly slice apples.
Lay apple slices into the baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine cereal flour, remaining cereal, syrup and coconut oil.
Pour topping over apples, pat to cover.
Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

Happy Cooking!

Kim


Tagged:

6 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious!

    I've got a mention of you over at my blog. So glad you stopped by so I could find your site.

    Genny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Genny. We're glad to have found your site, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited about that I found this blog! We just found out our four year old has Celiac. At first I thought that eliminating gluten was going to be a real challenge but the more I learn {and the more recipes I find} The more manageable it seems. So thanks you guys for you help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been diagnosed with a gluten allergy for a few months and now have to start eliminating dairy. This looks super easy, delicious, AND edible! :) Definitely making it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all finding and following our blog! Appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this recipe over at Cybele's blog! I'd missed it over here and it's perfect for my little boy!

    ReplyDelete