Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dreamy Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream - Kim's Welcoming Kitchen



Coconut milk-based creamer makes it a breeze to whip up Welcoming Kitchen-friendly, dairy-free ice cream!

Every year, my sister, mom and I get together with some old friends to watch the Oscars and devour lots of yummy food.  My traditional offering is the Hot Fudge Cake that appears in the Welcoming Kitchen book.  It's so scrumptious that I can't waste even the sauce that's left over after everyone had, had their fill at the party.

 I thought, "What would pair beautifully with that rich hot fudge?"

Strawberry ice cream!

Now, to be honest, I was a little impatient in the ice-cream-making process.  I think it would have been even better if I had chilled the mixture for several hours or overnight, instead of just for an hour, but even so, the taste was amazing both when it was pretty soft yesterday and today, now that it's really firm.  Letting it sit out at room temperature for a few minutes will return it to a nice texture.

Dreamy Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream - Kim's Welcoming Kitchen


Strawberry Ice Cream (dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free)

Ingredients:
15 ounces of frozen strawberries (I used 1 1/2 10-ounce packages of frozen organic strawberries)
1/4 cup of water 
2 tablespoons brown rice syrup (you could probably use agave nectar instead)
1 pint of French vanilla flavored coconut-milk creamer

Preparation:
In a small saucepan cook strawberries and water over medium heat, until strawberries soften up and are easy to break up with a spoon.
Stir in brown rice syrup.
Puree strawberries with creamer in a blender until smooth.
Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Follow ice cream maker instructions to make ice cream.

We shared this recipe as part of Allergy Free Wednesdays.

Happy Cooking!
Kim

My new book, Super Seeds, is available now! You can also find tasty recipes in Welcoming Kitchen: 200 Delicious Allergen- & Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes.

Tagged: ,

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds so delicious! I love strawberries and So Delicious French vanilla coconut milk creamer. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing!! I've actually never bought / used brown rice syrup and this is the first dairy-free ice cream recipe I've seen it used in. You've got me curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good! Super strawberry-y (if that's a word?). Alisa, I bought the brown rice syrup for another recipe that I have yet to make, and it's been burning a hole in my imagination, so I just had to give it a try. It's not overly sweet, but has a nice flavor. I think I'm going to continue to experiment with it. Let me know how any of your trials go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful! I love how few ingredients it uses and how simple the instructions are. Thanks for sharing at allergy free wednesday! Can't wait to see what you come up with next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy. Yummy. It looks fantastic. I can’t control my mind after reading the recipe. All match perfect together. It can’t be better. Thanks guys. I must try to make it now

    ReplyDelete