Saturday, February 25, 2012


Back in the day ... before I was married and had kids, my girlfriends and I would go out for weekend brunch.  With nowhere in particular to be, we could wait in line for a table at our favorite restaurant, linger over coffee and gobble up delicious comfort food while reliving the highlights of the night before.

Wow!  Times have changed.  I don't have hours on end to spend gossiping with my buddies, while we decide what fun adventure to undertake next.

I still love comfort food, though.  One of my favorite Southern brunch dishes was cheese grits.  I have made them a few time since my single days, but not too often.  A chef friend dropped off a box of amaranth the other day with a note: "Try this!  It's a super food!" 

I had not cooked with amaranth before, though I've been thinking about it since it's a gluten-free "grain" (like quinoa, not a true grain, but similar to cook), and it's loaded with nutrition.  My gift got me thinking.  What would I like to make first?

Nutritious cheesy grits!

Using amaranth resulted in a creamy, yet textured dish that I loved.  I actually ate the whole pot myself, only allowing my guys to taste it!  Whether you avoid corn or are looking for a way to provide a little more protein in a side dish, this amaranth grits alternative will please you, I think.

We shared this with Allergy Friendly Lunchbox Love and  Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

How have you used amaranth?

Cheesy Amaranth
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups non-dairy milk (I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk)
dash of salt
1 cup of amaranth, rinsed
1/2 cup vegan cheddar-flavor cheese alternative (I used Daiya cheddar shreds.)

Preparation:
Bring non-dairy milk and salt to a boil.
Add rinsed amaranth, stir, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add cheese and stir until it's thoroughly melted.

Happy Cooking!
Kim

Tagged: , ,

3 comments:

  1. Are there any vegan cheese options that do not contain Soy Protein?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne,

    Daiya brand is soy-free. Also, Galaxy makes a rice-based vegan cheese that is soy free.

    ReplyDelete